ICO Lawyer and Bitcoin Speaking Engagements
Felix Shipkevich has been involved with Bitcoin and Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) since their inception in the payments industry. He has spoken at national panels as an ICO Lawyer with experience counseling cryptocurrency fund managers and investors. He specializes in the legal compliance field of launching ICOs and how government agencies such as the SEC and CFTC are regulating cryptocurrency withing their jurisdiction.
The Reg A Conference
ICO Lawyer for Dealing with Security Tokens and Ensuring Compliant ICOs – Panel
June 12, 2018
Blockchain Law Summit 2018
ICO Lawyer for Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Regulations in U.S and Aborad
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles Convention Center
Cryptocurrency: Evolving Regulatory Landscape, Recent SEC, CFTC, FinCEN, IRS Enforcement Actions
ICO Lawyer for Strafford CLE
Wednesday, April 18, 2018
1:00pm-2:30pm EDT, 10:00am-11:30am PDT
Outline by ICO Attorneys
- Distributed ledgers, blockchain, and digital currency
- SEC: Securities Act registration requirements; actions for noncompliance
- CFTC: cryptocurrency as a commodity; actions for fraud and manipulation
- FinCEN: “convertible” virtual currency; money laundering and other actions
- IRS: obligation to report capital gains and other income; recent actions
- Why does the SEC view most digital tokens as securities, and what are registration requirements?
- When is cryptocurrency viewed as a commodity, and what are the ramifications for traders?
- What makes a token a convertible currency, and what kinds of FinCEN enforcement actions have resulted?
- Why might reporting transactions to the IRS be particularly problematic in the blockchain environment?
Payments Processing Roundtable:
The Future of Payment Processing and Money Service Businesses
March 14, 2018
Co-chair and Moderator for FinTech topics affecting Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Regulations
The Fractured Landscape of the Regulation and Oversight of Money Service Businesses
- What is a money service business and how do money service businesses differ from banks?
- Who needs to register?
- Forty-nine states currently have legislation impacting money service businesses with minimal consistency on core areas such as registration and capital/bond requirements.
- Is federal regulation and preemption a solution, and is the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency’s FinTech Charter a possible solution?
- Money services business and anti-money laundering regulations.
Financial Innovation and Consumer Protection
- Is new technology like Bitcoin and cryptocurrency disrupting existing payment processing operations?
- Regulators and financial innovation, CFTC’s “LabCFTC” effort on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- Consumer protections and money service businesses.
- Protections for corporate customers of money service businesses?
- When is a technology company a money transmitter or processor? Do participants in an innovation such as virtual currency risk inadvertently crossing a line into being transmitters or processors with accordant regulatory obligations?
The Blockchain Event: ICO Lawyer for The Rise of Cryptocurrency Panel
The Rise of Cryptocurrency, February 15, 2018
- What’s the difference between cryptocurrencies?
- Why is one ICO more successful than others?
- What are investors looking for in Cryptocurrency?
- Should you launch your own ICO?
- Why and how to host ICO and/or Token sale?
- What does it take to become a mainstream digital currency?
Hofstra University Maurice A. Deane School of Law, March 3, 2016
- Speaker for the University's Commodities Law / Foreign Exchange Panel, Analyzing CFTC orders against first Bitcoin swaps transactions violations by TeraExchange and Coinflip (Derivabit) on September 2015, as well as CFTC Chairmain Testimony regarding Virtual Currencies such as Bitcoins treated as Commodities.
Part 1 – Defining Bitcoin Legality August 5, 2014, Bitcoin Lawyer
- What government bodies oversee bitcoin?
(IRS, FinCen, DOJ, CFTC State Regulators, NYDFS, CFPB)
- How is bitcoin legally defined? Can it be defined?
(Property, derivative, currency, commodity, other)
- What is the future of bitcoin exchanges and who will regulate them?
Part 2 – Bitcoin on Wall Street August 12, 2014, Bitcoin Lawyer
- Is Wall Street ready to embrace cryptocurrency innovation?
- Is Wall Street ready for bitcoin exchanges? How will these exchanges operate and what is their impact on the cryptocurrency marketplace?
- Is the industry ready for bitcoin IPOs [ ICOs ]? Is Wall Street and Main Street ready for public bitcoin companies? What should investors know about the risk of investing in bitcoin companies?
- Do we see more companies looking at bitcoin lending? Who should regulate bitcoin lending?
- What regulations specific to bitcoin can or will be put in place?
Part 3 – Bitcoin ATM Regulation August 19, 2014, Bitcoin Lawyer
- Who regulates Bitcoin ATMs? Are they legal?
- Are they a legal depository or network?
- Who performs KYC/CIP for Bitcoin ATMs?
- What are the regulatory pitfalls?
Part 4 – Bitcoin vs. the World August 26, 2014, Bitcoin Lawyer
- How are domestic and international regulators dealing with bitcoin and cryptocurrencies?
- Which countries are “banning” bitcoin and how are businesses and consumers sidestepping this?
- How are startups and established companies adapting to bitcoin?
- What does the future hold for bitcoin?